Top Gun 1986 (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)

Released in May 1986, Top Gun is an American action drama movie that follows Maverick (Tom Cruise), as he trains at the ‘Top Gun Naval Fighter Weapons School’ and struggles to fit in with the other pilots. Maverick competes for the chance to be ‘Top Gun’ in his class whilst enjoying the presence of his female flight instructor, Charlie. 

First of all, what I need to get off my chest is how attractive Tom Cruise is in this movie! Maverick’s cool, mysterious vibe completely works for Cruise. Can you believe the actor will be 60 in July!! It’s mind blowing and I need to know what moisturiser he’s using! 

I won’t lie, I got second hand embarrassment at the beginning of the movie for Maverick as he worked to woo Charlie at the bar with the help of his best friend, Goose. The idea of men randomly singing in your face is petrifying so I don’t know why they thought it would work in this situation. Surprisingly it did, but that wasn’t real life was it so I mustn’t knock it. 

Fun fact time: Tom Cruise is actually three inches shorter than Kelly McGillis who played Charlie, which bothered Paramount greatly. To even up their heights, Cruise wore special cowboy boots that gave him a little height boost, while McGillis didn't wear any shoes at all during their scenes. This is hilarious to me because apparently they dug up a hole in the floor for the actress to stand in so the two lovers could be the same height. The lengths people will go to to not have a shorter man/ taller woman relationship is astounding and is still very much the same in 2022 as well. 

Speaking of the two characters, Maverick and Charlie had so much sexual chemistry throughout the movie, like they were completely engulfed in each other which I really loved. You could tell the characters were infactuated with one another which is great because there is absolutely nothing worse than characters in a romantic relationship with no chemistry. Although I will say, I wanted to dry heave when watching the ‘sex’ scene in the movie. I really did not enjoy the French kissing at all. It was just SO repulsive and uncomfortable to watch. I also didn’t completely love how fast their relationship progressed. I think it took about 4 scenes with ‘Take My Breath Away’ playing in the background before Charlie confessed her love to Maverick after speeding through the streets of America, probably raking up about 10 speeding fines. I felt like the song became repetitive and quite annoying after a while. It was used for hot and cold encounters between the two and I honestly did not know if I was coming or going. 

Here’s a glimpse at my favourite part of the movie: Mavericks first visit at his instructors house. Imagine having the guts to turn up to someone’s house, for the first time and announce you’re taking a shower “If you don’t mind”. I am a huge fan of Charlie for ensuring that she did infact mind. Show him who’s boss girl. Honestly what goes on in someone’s abnoxious mind to invite yourself into someone’s shower. It’s laughable. 

I’m gonna be real: As a first time watcher, I  really didn’t enjoy the movie. I wish I could but it just seemed all over the place for me. I felt like it had no purpose at all even being a movie. I was often lost in the plot and struggled to understand who was what, what was where and how I ended up in this situation. Perhaps if I rewatch it again, my understanding will improve significantly. Don’t get me wrong, there were some amazing scenes, like the final flying scenes where Maverick and the movies antagonist ‘Ice’ finally come to an understanding, but to put it nicely, I couldn’t keep up with names, faces, scenes, anything. That very well could be a ME problem though so take what I say with a pinch of salt; what do I know? I came for the movie but I definitely enjoyed the music more. The song choices were absolutely bliss and ‘Danger Zone’ was my favourite song of the movie. 

What I did really love was the relationship between Maverick and Goose. The pair just understood each other completely and you could just see the love they had for each other. I especially love how Goose always let Maverick take the lead and just chimed in with the occasional word or two to steer Maverick’s speeches and conversations in the right direction. Definitely my favourite pair of the movie. I was absolutely gutted when what happened, happened though. I really did shed a tear. 

With the release of the new Top Gun movie, I’m excited to get more educated by having a rewatch, so I can make sure that I’m not missing any important aspects of the classic that may change my initial opinion. Only a matter of days before Tom Cruise as Maverick returns after 30 years! I’m so glad I watched this classic to understand the hype. Bare with me with my opinion, I’m sure it will change after a rewatch or two. 

It was fun, mysterious and definitely dramatic. 

3.7/ 5!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Favourite Christmas Film Say About You?

The Breakfast Club (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)

Tommy (1975) (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)