Braveheart (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)

Released in 1995, Braveheart has stolen the hearts of every non-English person of the United Kingdom. 

 Up until Monday evening, I think I was just about the only person who hadn’t seen this movie, where William Wallace led the country of Scotland to rebel against the cruel rulings of King Edward I of England. Legend has it, Wallace is still screaming ‘FREEDOM’ now!

 

I had mixed emotions about this movie at first, I absolutely loved the entire movie until the end… Where it felt as though I had wasted 2 hours and 45 minutes of my life as Wallace lay headless on what was basically a chopping board- that is until I was told it was based on a true story! Let me tell you, it was as if I finally put my prescription glasses on and could finally see the movie for what it was!

 

I’d like to give a round of applause to Mel Gibson, the most American man ever, for portraying the character of William himself and even directing and producing the movie! He sure makes a better Scot than Mike Myers who butchered Shrek’s accent! I had not seen a Mel Gibson movie prior to this one, but I’ve only heard positive things about the actor of ‘Lethal Weapon’, ‘Mad Max’ and about a dozen other blockbuster classics, that are actually on my list of classic films to review! Seems to me that Gibson is a pretty great actor… 

 

Yeah, so good that when Wallace’s lovely wife ‘Murron’ is murdered, he mourned for all but two seconds! I don’t think I saw a tear form in his eye. Let me tell you, if my husband reacted like that to my death, he’d reap the consequences of his actions forever. Wallace’s minor reaction upsets me so much because I absolutely loved the pair together and thought the chemistry the two characters shared was unmatched to any rom-com I’d find on Netflix today. I thought the small gesture of child Murron gifting a flower to William as he grieved his father was so simple yet an unforgettable scene that I truly loved, and do not get me started on when he returned it to her years later! It was so dreamy I wanted to throw up! The pairs short relationship deserved better, and if this movie wasn’t based on a true story, I’d be rioting outside Paramount Pictures myself. I hated the idea of William building a romantic relationship with Princess Isabella, but I’m aware that, it was in the interest of the Scots to overcome the wrath of England. 

 

Speaking of Princess Isabella, I absolutely loved her confidence when standing up against King Edward or ‘Longshanks’, and asserting her dominance against his son, who was evidently weaker, unknowing, and unable to rule England. Obviously, I cannot vouch for the discrimination women faced in the late 1200’s, but all I can say is girl power! The idea of Isabella’s revenge scheme against King Edward, being to end his bloodline due to her pregnancy with William Wallace sounds to me like a woman taking her empowerment back and us women love that sort of thing! 

 

Forgetting the fact that I could barely understand the dialogue for a good portion of the movie due to the thick Scottish accents (which is entirely a me problem), I thoroughly enjoyed the fight and unity these Scottish men exuded, and surprise surprise, I had NO idea that the iconic “they may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!” quote was from Braveheart. I’m super glad I’ve educated myself on the matter and am now apart of the ‘Braveheart lovers’’ tribe. My favourite scene must have been when the Scots first fought the English, and the iconic quote was spoken amongst hundreds of other iconic words in William’s monologue. The idea of the Scots outsmarting the English and coming out on top gave me so much euphoria that I wanted the movie to end there and then, on a high note. 

 

I’ve just got one bone to pick with this movie… Listen, I’m all for the men fighting to the death, I completely get it. England vs Scotland- bound to be a blood bath! What on earth did those poor horses do? Tell me that! The brutality those horses faced was almost as bad as this years Grand National. It was just so graphic too! I could handle a throat being slit and everything in between, but to hurt the horses! Not on. 

 

Overall, I’m officially a Mel Gibson groupie! He’s most definitely swoon worthy, even with the massive hair and constant filthy face. I loved the costumes, I loved the graphics, and I loved the idea of this movie having so much depth and educational and historical dialogues and scenes, it just kept me fixated to the screen, but I suppose I was learning a thing or two so it was completely acceptable! 

 

4.5/5!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Favourite Christmas Film Say About You?

The Breakfast Club (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)

Tommy (1975) (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)