Tommy (1975) (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)


‘Tommy’ (1975) was very interesting to say the least. 

All I can really advise is that if you haven’t seen it yet, weigh out your options, and if you have, how are you feeling now? 

Listen, it’s not the worst movie in the world and I totally appreciated various songs from the soundtrack and do not get me started on the visuals! They were absolutely phenomenal at times, but, I was just so lost throughout. I was mesmerised and enthralled to my screen yet I had not one single clue what was going on during the entire hour and 50 minutes I watched for. 

The vibrant colours were utterly mesmerising, and as much as I didn’t want to continue watching, the bright colours of the sets and the characters outfits kept me sat put, with my mouth wide open catching flies. It was like I was hallucinating because every scene had the most obscure and absurd props and scenarios that I couldn’t help but be confused the entire time. It felt to me like every scene was a different horror movie with torturous characters and disturbing actions and suggestions. An honourable character who I absolutely detested was Uncle Ernie. Uncle Ernie’s character made me feel so incredibly ill. I wanted to cover my eyes and watch between my fingers the entire time he was on my screen. The funny thing is, I don’t even think he did anything seriously evil at all, he just freaked me out a whole lot.  I seriously do not know how people managed to watch and enjoy this in the 70’s but I need to know why. 

The first 10 minutes of the rock opera potentially set the film up for failure for me. I watched the screen attempting to make out what was happening during the speechless scenes but couldn’t. I found it difficult to grasp the storyline at all for that matter. 

My confusion continued throughout the movie and I’d often catch tiny phrases used in the millions of songs sang to get my brain working overtime to figure out the plot of this movie, but I think the idea that there was not a single word spoken throughout and it was all sung in songs, along with random scenes where Tommy’s mum was making snow angels in a 5cm bath of beans, gave me no hope in hell to figure this musical out. To be frank, I didn’t enjoy that there was no dialogue at all, I think it should’ve been necessary and the fact there was none ruined the experience of the movie for me, I think I had a hard time following the music because it was extremely chaotic and often irrelevant. In comparison to ‘Les Miserables’ which has a similar concept, I really struggled to adapt to it. But perhaps I’m small minded and us Gen Z’s are lacking the Tommy brain cell that was prevalent in the 70’s. 

‘The Who’, who developed and created the plot of the movie used music inspo from their fourth studio album ‘Tommy’. The incredible Rodger Daltrey did an outstanding job at portraying the character, Tommy, and really giving a believable performance of a deaf and blind person. I thought he was excellent given his lack of acting skills. I especially loved Tommys’ long curly locks, they certainly were popular in the 70s. 

Let’s get down to the nitty gritty then: Google states “Tommy stumbles upon a pinball machine and discovers he is a natural prodigy at the game. Fame and fortune follow for Tommy, as he becomes a pinball champion and later the messiah of a religious cult, which views his pinball skills as a miraculous sign of divine intervention.” I won’t lie to you. I got absolutely none of that from the movie. Does that description not sound absolutely mental to you? A once deaf and blind boy, due to trauma as a child, plays on a pinball machine and is suddenly cured from his disabilities and is now the next Jesus? Is that what you all got from it too? I spent a good margin of ‘Tommy’ assuming his disability was broken once he smashed glass, I don’t remember him even playing pinball for that long! What with Marilyn Monroe Worshippers being fed medication and shots and a random holiday park appearing somewhere in between I don’t think my brain clocked the actual plot of the movie! LOL!

However, I loved Elton John’s cameo appearance as the Pinball Wizard! His scene was perhaps my favourite of the movie. The pinball song was extremely catchy compared to others and the visuals were incredible. It’s nothing I would ever see today. I believe all soundtrack movies using musicians albums as inspo should be vital and would be an asset to the film industry with the new uses of technology and music progression today. I know that the script and overall performance would be a hell of a lot better than they were then, however I understand that ‘The Who’ adapted to what was available for them and I think visually they did an amazing job with what they had. I think a Harry Styles Musical/Drama has the potential to be great given his similar obscure mind! 

I really did appreciate that ‘Tommy’ included several important factors and emotional elements. The Musical really highlighted how disabilities like deafness and blindness can also have a serious impact on family and friends as we witness Tommy’s mother slowly deteriorate throughout the opera. I believe that gives an incredible insight into illnesses like Tommy’s, although it’s extremely awful for him, his family also feels the strain of these conditions. It’s an extremely honourable element to add to the movie as I bet it gave viewers who may have been struggling with similar scenarios a sigh of relief. I also thoroughly appreciated that the movie highlighted the implications that War and post traumatic stress can have on a person and family. The movie slogan “your senses will never be the same” is absolutely perfect for this visually appealing and outrageous musical drama, because I can assure you, they certainly won’t be after watching that. 

Honorary mention to Tommy singing 'I’m Free' whilst running through fields of flowers and beaches and continuing to do so whilst running on 'hot lava' and 'in the air'. I thought it was so mesmerising and also hilarious as much as it was obsurd. This was the first time I’d heard teenage Tommy sing and was not disappointed with his singing voice or enthusiasm. I find it fascinating how he broke through a mirror glass and was suddenly cured. That will always remain questionable to me I think. The cinematic shots of him under water were incredible. Far too professional and clever for other 1975 movies that’s for sure. You wouldn’t see similar shots like those in Rocky! 

All I want to know is how did he go from an all white bedroom to some enchanted beach so quickly. Wish I could get from A to B that fast, what with the petrol prices going up too there’s no hope for me to make it to a beach like that in my little car. Overall, although an absolutely mental movie, it had a lot of personality. I think maybe if I have a watch again it might sway my rating. 

2/5


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Favourite Christmas Film Say About You?

The Breakfast Club (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)