Reranking the Top 100, 'TOP 10' Songs of April 7-13th 2002

Music 20 years ago is certainly very different to music today. 
Today, radio consists of Aitch and Ardee and other names that aren’t actually names. I thought I’d have a dive into music 20 years ago to see what people were loving in 2002. 

From the week beginning 7th of April to the 13th, the top 10 of the 'TOP 100' songs were ranked, and in my opinion, they were ranked incorrectly. Yes, music is very very different today, but I’m giving my honest opinion on what order I think the top 10 should have been arranged. These views are of course my own, but they should be yours too if we’re discussing taste and culture. Without further ado, let’s get into how the top 10 list should’ve been ordered! 

1. How You Remind Me (Nickelback) 

This song is an absolute classic. Here in 2022, we’re still screaming it at the top of our lungs in the alternative clubs and loving every second of it. It’ll go down in history as a banger. No ifs, buts or maybes, this is number 1. This song was ranked 5 in the charts in April 2022 but it’s top tier in my heart. 

2. Whenever Wherever (Shakira)

Another absolute oldie but goldie. This is perhaps one of Shakira's greatest hits and is now appreciated greatly when you want to listen to a throwback tune. It received a respectable number 3 in the 2002 charts which is nearly on par with my ranking. Rightly scored now and back then. 

3. Tainted Love (Marilyn Manson) 

This song was ranked number 9 in the April 2002 charts! The liberty! Listen, I’m aware it’s not some people's favourite version of the song but I thoroughly appreciate the bands twist of the classic tune. It’s in third place for me. Rock on Marilyn Manson! 

4. Unchained Melody (Gareth Gates)

This cover was ranked number 1 for 4 weeks in April 2002 and I’m not sure why. It will never beat the Righteous brothers version and it will never give me goosebumps when I imagine the two ghost characters doing pottery together. It’s not my favourite of the bunch but it’s certainly better than other top 10 songs of April 2002 

5. Me Julie (Shaggy Ali G)

I cannot take this song seriously whatsoever. Ranked a respectful number 4 in the 2002 'TOP 100' April hits and it gets a 5 from me today. There’s not much I can say about it except it’s hilarious and absolutely nostalgic. Don’t listen or watch Ali G without your parents permission, kids! 

6. It’s Going Down (X- ecutioners)

I had to do my homework and have a first listen to this hit and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was ranked at number 7 in 2002 and has gone up to 6 for me. As a fan of Lincoln Park it’s clear I should be ashamed of myself with my lack of familiarity to this song. It’s standard for the band members and their friends, the X-ecutioners. 

7. Anything is Possible/ evergreen (Will Young) 

Number 8 in 2002, this song wasn’t giving me a lot of desire to keep listening. It was a bit bland and I’ve heard better songs from winners of singing competitions. I’m not complaining, it just won’t be one that I stick on the future wedding playlist. 

8. 4 My People (Missy Elliot)

Please do not hate me for this but I’ve never heard this song in my entire life. I thoroughly enjoyed the diversity this song had in comparison to the others on this list. The dance anthem, I believe would have so much potential if released a few years into the future. For that reason, the 2002 number 6 ranking is number 8 for me. 

9. I’m Not A Girl Not Tet a Woman (Britney Spears) 

My least favourite Britney song by far. Although ranked number 2 in 2002, it’s not popular for me. It’s not a Britney anthem I would particularly sing to in the car anytime soon. It’s not giving me what I’m after, (it’s toxic if you ask me). So for that reason, it’s scraping the barrel towards the bottom of the list at number 9. 

10. Fly by II (Blue) 

If it’s not ‘All Rise’, it’s not a Blue song I want to listen to. Number 10 in 2002, number 10 in 2022. I just can’t contain my dislike for Lee Ryan. He is the reason why Blue is in 10th place. Sorry not sorry to any hardcore Blue fans, like I said, it’s All Rise or all nothing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Favourite Christmas Film Say About You?

The Breakfast Club (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)

Tommy (1975) (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)