Silence of the Lambs - (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW) (TW)

5 words I managed to conjure up as the closing credits began on the movie ‘Silence of the Lambs’? Hannibal Lecter is a genius. 

 

The 18 rated movie is now my favourite thriller/suspense/ drama ever! Don’t get me wrong, I was absolutely petrified for more than half of this movie, but I loved every second of it regardless. 

 

Released in February 1991, this classic is based and adapted from the 1988 novel by Thomas Harris and follows our protagonist Clarise Starl
ing (portrayed by Jodie Foster) as she unravels a current serial murder investigation with the unacquainted help of the ingenious and estranged convicted criminal, Hannibal Lecter, (portrayed by Anthony Hopkins). 

 

I’ll probably be considered a baby or uncultured when I say this, but I’ve never watched a film with either Foster or Hopkins until now. However, I’ve heard those infamous names countless times whilst claiming I was a film fanatic and feen. I clearly wasn’t. Who doesn’t know Anthony Hopkins? Can we also talk about the fact that he’s Welsh! Talk about bringing it home for us! The Port Talbot born actor won an Oscar for his performance in the 1991 movie alongside Foster who won for being the ‘Best Actress in a Leading Role’. I honestly feel like I've been living under a rock to have never seen this incredible movie. 

 

Spoiler alert! My favourite part must be one of the most gruesome and unwatchable scenes. Hannibal has cleverly conducted an escape route from his jail box by outsmarting an oblivious guard and brutally murdering him. This isn’t what I was loving, don’t worry! What I loved was the cat and mouse hunt between himself and the FBI as they attempted to capture him once more. The anticipation of not knowing where the serial killer was, was off-putting, yet mesmerizing. As a first-time watcher, I assumed he’d taken the easy way out as the police find blood dripping from the roof of the elevator; what happens next isn’t for me to spoil! 

 

Let’s discuss the movie title: I spent a large majority of the thriller movie wondering where this title came from, who drops the punchline and when it’ll become relevant and make sense to me. Even when it did, I found it didn’t make a lot of sense. I understand Clarise had a chaotic childhood and has recurring nightmares of her past- but maybe the title could’ve been more relevant to the vaster and more crucial parts of the classic. A few titles I’ve thrown about in my head could be ‘The Cop and the Bandit’, ‘The Starling and the Lecter’ and ‘Skin Skin Skin’. Perhaps that’s a bit of a stretch so maybe Silence of the Lambs will do for now. The title name may make more sense when discussed in the book so if I give it a read it will probably give me the clarity, I’m obviously desperate for. 

 

Whilst doing some research after this movie, my mind was completely blown. I discovered the serial killer ‘Buffalo Bill’ is based on seven real-life serial killers. It’s innovative and brilliant to me how my heart slightly hurts as the mentally unstable antagonist yearns for a new body, due to dysphoria and yet I felt sick to my stomach watching him destroy lives around him. Notable killers who inspired the character were: Ed Gein, Ted Bundy, Jerry Brudos and Edmund Kemper. Think I’ll pass on ever helping a man with a broken hand load a sofa into his van, thanks. 

 

An honourable mention for such a strong leading character. Jodie Foster was exceptional in this movie and the entire film’s rejection of gender discrimination became clearer and clearer as the movie went on. Often, characters would make derogatory remarks and attempt to belittle Clarise, but she really proved everyone wrong. In a film where men were everywhere, she came out on top. Her colleagues grew respect for her, and Hannibal favourited her over previous detectives. I particularly loved when he told her the world was more interesting with her in it! I believe the continuous mention of Clarise having a pretty face and the implying of her just being there for ‘the male gaze’ must’ve been such an empowering and euphoric feeling for women and men in the 90’s who felt inferior, weak, and different when she showed what a true hero looked like. Excellent use of rejecting gender discrimination, and in such an iconic movie too.

 

I can’t begin to tell you how many familiar faces I saw in this movie, I was astounded I’d never seen it before, truly. Characters from the ever famous ‘Greys Anatomy’, ‘Shutter Island’ and ‘Law in Order’ appeared as younger versions of themselves and blew me away. I internally said, “ohhhhh that’s where these careers began” and continued to watch them in this ‘great’ with suspense.

 

I’m super excited to see what happens in the 2001 sequel, ‘Hannibal’ along with the TV show spin-offs. I’ve got high hopes, but I won't be watching them alone, especially after enduring Silence of the Lambs alone. I can’t wait to see how the infamous line “I’m having an old friend for dinner” pans out! 

 

5/5! – My favourite yet!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Favourite Christmas Film Say About You?

The Breakfast Club (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)

Tommy (1975) (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)