Reviewing Every Song of 'Give Me The Future'- Bastille (ALBUM REVIEW)


Bastille's brand new album 'Give Me The Future' was released on 7th February 2022, and as a die-hard, reliable fan, it's only right that I give my honest and authentic opinion. 

You will see my raw opinions as I review one song at a time and prepare myself for the next, accordingly. Who's opinion to care about more than a 21-year-old's with nothing better to do on a Thursday evening? Exactly! Bastille, if you see this, have a look at @bastilleismine on Twitter to see just how die-hard I am, then send me a t-shirt or vinyl. Enjoy the roller coaster of an experience you're about to read!

1.     Distorted Light Beam: The futuristic sound is something Bastille has really started to include in their recent albums. When I attended my first Bastille concert, they were supported by ‘Rationale’. This song gives me that vibe. I enjoyed the new, experimental sound, however, felt it became too repetitive. Although the song didn’t even hit the three-minute mark, I became agitated and needy for it to finish. I loved the new technical attribute but was excited to hear what the rest of the album had to offer.

 

2.     Thelma and Louise: I loved this one. My first impression was excitement! This is Bastille for me. This is my favourite band. The fan t-shirts and Twitter accounts have led to this moment. I love the vibe. The lyrics are uplifting and just make me want to jump around like I’m listening to ‘Wild World’ again. 

 

3.     No Bad Days: The swearing! This is foreign for Bastille and I’m not hating it. This gave me ‘Bad Blood’ album vibes and I’m loving it. I’ve never really understood a lot of Bastille’s lyrics, but I understood every word of this song. I really appreciated the message it’s projected. No more bad days for me hearing this song! The ending gave me life! The scalic singing and final piano melody- WOW. 

 

4.     Brave New World (Interlude): I travelled all the way to Sheffield in 2018 to watch Bastille’s orchestrated tour and this has taken me back to that night. I absolutely love Bastille’s admiration and inclusion of an orchestra on their tours and in their music. It felt a little out of place and I’m unsure of the song title. Nevertheless though, always been a sucker for an orchestra. 

 

5.     Back To the Future: HANG ON A SECOND! WAIT THERE! THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO LISTEN TO YOUR ALBUMS IN ORDER! I loved the connection between ‘Brave New World’ to ‘Back to the Future’. Not only was that the most satisfying synching I’ve heard but the song is a banger. Another one to dance to in your bedroom. Currently bobbing my head up and down vibing, writing this. I loved the futuristic sounds but also the familiarity of the Wild World album! The only thing that’s starting to grind my gears is how short the songs are! I want more. 

 

6.     Plug In…: I think this is my favourite so far. The lyrics are just insane, I could cry. I never thought I could enjoy Bastille like I used to. I assumed I’d been there at their peak. This is their peak. Please Bastille make this song a bit longer for a die-hard, day one fan- me. 

 

7.     Promises: Bastille are so great at discussing real-life issues. This short rap by Riz Ahmed is one that everyone needs to hear. In previous songs, Bastille has done amazing at promoting climate change, life issues and poverty. ‘Doom days’ is an honourable mention. Keep being influential, Bastille and Riz, this is why you’re timeless. Thank you. 

 

8.     Shut Off the Lights: Once again, the way the end of ‘Promises’ led to ‘Shut Off the Lights’ is impeccable. The little melody was addicting. The whole song is addicting; I could listen to it all day. When I thought the verse was the best, along came the chorus and it blew my mind. I often think Bastille’s music is repetitive and always ‘sounds the same’, but this really feels brand new to me. I still know Dan Smith’s voice when I hear it, though. THE SAXOPHONE! AHHHHH!

 

9.     Stay Awake?: This song very much gave me Eurovision vibes and I’m really digging it. I loved the use of the automated message; it fits in incredibly with the cyber feeling of not only the song but the whole album too. I assumed as the song began, it’d be a gloomy one, but once again it became an upbeat tune just like the others. I wonder if we’ll get a slow impactful song as we have in Bastille’s other albums.

 

10.   Give Me the Future: High hopes for the song with the album title. The beginning reminded me of ‘In the Air Tonight’ by Phil Collins, low key. The pre-chorus and chorus are just standard, amazing Bastille though, but all verses have that iconic drumbeat, (you’ll understand when you hear it). The bridge of this song is my favourite of the whole album so far! How pretty! The lyrics feel very dystopian, but it just feels so euphoric. I’m obsessed. This is the longest song yet at 3:40!

 

11.  Club 57: I’m getting country vibes and I’m loving it. This song just felt so different and happy, a different kind of happiness to the others. I’m a sucker for the whistles, I think. Just wanted to wave my arms in the air and move my hips at a crowded, Indie festival. This is my favourite song of 2022 already. I think I’ve also changed my mind; this is my new favourite bridge of the album! Can’t get enough. I really feel like a 21-year-old listener now. Still a fan like I was when I was thirteen, but we’ve really grown up together. 

 

12.  Total Dissociation (interlude): This felt like a really impactful ending to ‘Club 57’, (one that it definitely deserved); and slowly and progressively brought back the orchestral feel to introduce us to a new era of the album. What an experience this whole album has been. 

 

13.  Future Holds (feat. Bim): First and only feature of the album and I was obsessed with the pre-chorus! Bim is insane with her gospel feel. This song is a perfect balance between the orchestral, gospel vibe and the cyber, techy sounds. 

 

14.  Back to the Innerverse (interlude): The cyber feel is insane! 

 

15.  Real Life: I could cry. Is this my new favourite song from the album? On first impressions, I’m not sure which song of the album is my fave, but let me tell you, I love this. Bastille doesn’t need the cyber, technical sounds to make amazing music, (of course that’s all a bonus), but their authentic sounds are just what makes them amazing. The stripped-down backing, the amazing lyrics from Dan and the sheer competence of the rest of the band are what made me a fan all those years ago. This is Bastille, and what says, this is Bastille, more than a song that doesn’t reach three minutes?

 

16.  Survivin’: I really got ‘Good Grief’ vibes for the intro, and I liked it. I feel like I’m in a parallel universe, but with cyber and techno sounds blowing my brains out. Is this in the running to be my favourite? Yes, it is.  I feel sick listening to “it feels like I’ve been living upside down” because I love it so much. 

 

17.  Shut off the Lights (SPINALL REMIX): I think I prefer this version more than the original. I got Ed Sheeran- Barcelona vibes and I love that song, so this was immense. What a perfect way to end an incredible album. 

 

 

Final thoughts: 

Honestly, I wasn’t expecting a lot. At first listen, I didn’t enjoy the cyber and techno feel, but as the album progressed, I really began to embrace it! I can’t get over how well each song synchronised with the next and cannot stress enough how vital it is to listen to an album in order! Is this my favourite Bastille album as a whole? On first impressions, it isn’t- however, several songs could potentially be some of my favourite songs from the band, ever! Perhaps, if I get into the swing of listening to the album, I’ll like it more and more and will begin to appreciate it as a whole!

 

I wish Bastille included a slower song on their album. I appreciate the use of gloomy lyrics and quite ‘depressing’ aspects, but I feel the album lacks a bit of Bastille ‘sad boy hours feels’. Nevertheless, I do appreciate the aspects I was shown throughout and the gloomy elements shown in certain songs. An honourable mention is ‘Stay Awake?’. One final thing to nag about is how short the songs are! Bastille, 41 minutes isn't long enough for me :(.

 

I really can’t get on with ‘Distorted Light Beam’ as of yet and I can’t put my finger on why. Here’s to hoping it grows on me. Admirable mentions I couldn't get enough of were: ‘Club 57’ and ‘Real Life’. 

 

Overall, I’m excited to fall in love with this album and see it live, in the flesh in April.
WOOHOO!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Does Your Favourite Christmas Film Say About You?

The Breakfast Club (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)

Tommy (1975) (CLASSIC FILM REVIEW)